Banish Puffiness and Dark Circles With This Homemade Mask
September 27 2019
There's no reason to look tired all the time. Instead of settling for dark circles, try a homemade under-eye mask.
What Causes Eye Bags?
Eyes start to look dark and puffy when excess fluid gathers in the under-eye tissue. Loose, saggy skin doesn't help the situation because its stretchiness accommodates even more fluid buildup. Bags obstruct the eyes' naturally bright look and, instead, leave the eyes looking shadowy and tired.
A shortage of restful sleep definitely contributes to this look. However, exhaustion isn't the only cause of dark circles. Collagen loss that naturally occurs as people get older loosens the skin and increases bags. Allergies can make eyes inflamed and puffy, and skin conditions such as eczema can contribute as well.
Fortunately, there are natural products that may address some of these problems. For example, antioxidant-rich plant ingredients, such as vitamin E oil and grapeseed oil, may slow the effects of aging. Aloe vera gel and rosewater may soothe irritation. Green tea could reduce puffiness and redness.
Homemade Under-Eye Mask Recipe
Reduce inflammation, soothe the skin and perk up the appearance with a homemade eye mask that relies on natural products.
- 1 green tea bag
- 3 tsp. aloe vera gel
- 1.5 tsp. grapeseed oil
- 1.5 tsp. rosewater
- 1/2 tsp. vitamin E oil
- Brew tea using the tea bag and 1 cup of warm water. Let the tea steep for 15 minutes.
- Remove 3 teaspoons of brewed tea from the cup. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Add the additional ingredients to the bowl. Stir to combine.
- Gently pat about one-third of the mixture onto the under-eye area using a finger.
- Massage skin gently to help the mixture soak in.
- Leave the mask in place for 20 minutes.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe off any remaining mask.
- Store the extra mixture in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Keep Under-Eye Skin Smooth and Bright
A few simple lifestyle adjustments could make a big difference in eye appearance. In addition to using an eye mask, give the following tips a try. They could help the eyes look great all day long.
- Get a full night's sleep whenever possible.
- Elevate the head at night with a few pillows.
- Reduce salt intake.
- Apply cold compresses to the eye area as needed.
- Take collagen supplements to improve skin elasticity.